Tuesday, 19 January 2010

Cleaning without chemicals part 2 - using alternative products

Yesterday I went to my local Co-op and bought their own brand 'ecological' washing up liquid, which will replace my current washing up liquid (normally anything that is cheap and does the job). The washing up liquid is priced at 89p compared to Co-op's normal own brand washing up liquid, which is priced at 72p. The bottle has an EU 'Ecolabel', which is apparently given to goods or services that meet its requirements. These include "a high level of biodegradability, restricts use of chemicals harmful to aquatic environments, and cuts down on packaging waste."

The Co-op range of ecological cleaning products. Get more information on how the Co-op aims to reduce the retailing of harmful chemicals here.


I also bought Antony Worrall Thompson's 'Fresh and Green' wipes. I love these wipes and have been buying them for quite a while. They are expensive though, at £1.99 a pack. However, I think it's worth it because all the ingredients come from plant sources, and even the packaging is chalk-based. Using these wipes means I don't have to use a spray cleaner full of harmful chemicals on my work surfaces.

I will keep you updated with more eco-products as I replace the old ones, and in due course I will be posting a detailed price list

No comments:

Post a Comment