Tuesday, 29 June 2010

Children and Nature


Image courtesy of www.blogthecoast.com

I've just been reading a very thought-provoking article about how less than ten per cent of children today play in natural places, which I find both sad and shocking. The pervading memories of my childhood are of running across green fields, alongside lakes and climbing trees. I fell out of a few too! But that doesn't seem to be the case for a lot of youngsters anymore.

I imagine there are too many parents afraid to let their children out of their sight now for fear of strangers, something which the media has blown out of all proportion just to sell more papers (in my humble, ex journalist opinion).

The wonderful thing about Cornwall is of course that we have fantastic countryside and access to nature that is far removed from what most children grow up with in big cities. Not only is Cornwall one of the most rural counties in the whole of the UK, it also happens to be one of the safest and again I know that from my days as a reporter.
I'm not a parent and I don't know who I would feel if it were my child but from an objective point of view I think one of the best things you can do is allow them to grow up living an active life surrounded by grass, trees and wildlife. You can read the article here.

I also read another one on the BBC website about how gardening makes children really happy, and it's true, it works. I have very fond memories of my next door neighbour's little girl coming out with her little gardening tools and helping me to water sunflowers and pot up herbs, she loved it. I would recommend any child that is having difficulties at school or with their behaviour be taken to an allotment or encouraged to work in the garden a few times a week and see the difference it makes to their physical and mental health. You can read the article here.

3 comments:

  1. Nice.. pretty child! It is so nice to see this kind of scenery. Looking for a good Cornwall holiday cottages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! It's really true less children playing with nature. We need to do something with it. Nature is very interesting and fun.

    wales holiday

    ReplyDelete